Sunday, April 21, 2013

Distant Cousins Who Live Distantly

I often discuss how certain experiences can bring otherwise strangers together, sometimes closer than family. This is true of my military friends, now scattered around the world. We have a bond, a survival experience, that is unbreakable and incomprehensible to anyone that hasn't lived some thing similar.

My Autism family is much the same. We've been sent on a journey many will never understand, never have to walk. A journey that can sometimes feel lonely and out of our control. Finding those connections with other families on the same path, whether down the street or another country, can instantly make that weight of the journey lighter.

In seeking answers and support, Facebook is the go to gathering place, and thus I found myself in a group of moms from around the world facing my same daily struggles. After a few weeks I began noticing another mom frequently commenting, offering suggestions, that seemed to have children closer to the age of mine. Teens instead of toddlers. Then I realized we shared a maiden name, a name with an uncommon spelling.

And so I reached out to this woman three states away whom I'd never spoken directly to. We did searches, and found our connection beyond just Autism and the coincidence that we both have T-shirt businesses. Sixteen generations back, in a small village in England, our great-grandfathers were brothers.

Two years later we share a sarcastic sense of humor, cheer each other on during moments of chaos. We share triumphs and pains. We share a name, genetics, a history, and a journey. She's my distant cousin who lives distantly but helps daily . A reminder that life's adventure really is all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment