Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thirty One

There's a card game, called Thirty One. My husband loves it, but he never wins. It was one of the first things he taught me after we were married, even before my indoctrination into Star Wars. He didn't realize, and still somehow doesn't believe, that I'm great at card games. At least card games with face cards, Rook is a whole different story. 

It is a simple game, everyone only needs three cards. The goal is to have the total number equal Thirty One or have three of a kind. Nearly every hand he magically deals me the cards I need to win or the final card for my set is at the top of the draw pile. I notoriously continue to draw and discard without entering the cards into my hand just to let him have a few rounds to possibly gain a winning hand. But it rarely happens.

He just asked me to play and I suggested he play with the kids instead. So I'm listening as he teaches our 15 and 12 year old boys how to play. And our younger son is catching the loopholes in my husband's directions. Jokers are wild? Then I say this one is thirty one!
My poor husband... nearly twenty years and now I'm having to teach the kids how to let him win.


No comments:

Post a Comment