Sunday, January 10, 2010

Have I told you the story about my husband?


As I sat here tonight contemplating my topic of the day, I had many topics to choose from. I could have written about my obsessive color disorder (yes, it is that severe), or about the fantastic bridal show I was at today and all the wonderful ladies I met, or about nicknames (a topic of discussion today), or about another random childhood event. But when asking my husband which to choose Doug quickly suggested I talk about how cool he is. So here goes.
My husband is awesome. He's the perfect combination of quirky humor, immense data base of movie trivia, and just design savvy enough to keep up with me. Doug is also a very talented artist, something he does not often share. He has created quite a portfolio of graphic works but very few people realize he's just as good with a pencil as he is with a mouse. This also means he is very understanding about my own creativity and need for design outlets.
He is also a lover of all things literature and historical. Over the last nearly sixteen years together we have amassed quite a collection of classic books, a few nearly 100 yrs old! Homer, Dickens, Steinbeck, Melville, Twain, Shakespear, Poe, Hawthorne, Emerson, and Dumas are just a few of the great finds we've collected. We love to scavenge thrift stores and antique shops for great finds. Biographies, books on other countries, and early American history are other favorites. We have books on the Mayan culture, Einstein, Mt. Vesuvius, and Marilynn Monroe.
Doug is also a very patient and forgiving husband. I have a habit of participating in a few more things than I really have time for, but Doug is always willing to work around the randomness of my schedule and help pick up the slack. He keeps the kids on task when I work Saturdays, making sure the house is cleaner when I come home than when I left. He forgives me for not cooking meat more than once a week and rarely anything more exciting than chicken. He being the only member of our household not allergic to beef and pork means those are special treats usually reserved for our once a year date or a holiday with extended family.
He's also self deprecating enough to laugh at himself and not laugh at me too much harder. My own clumsiness is slightly out-shined by his "broke my nose walking into a volleyball net" and "got a concussion jumping a bike off car ramps" stories.
Did I mention we started dating because he was my dance partner when we were both performing in the Richland Light Opera production of Meet Me in St. Louis? He was the only guy in the chorus taller than me (and that could figure out the dance steps!) and we were engaged by closing night.
I'm pretty lucky. A lot of people were very surprised when we first got married, we were so young and didn't seem to have a lot in common. I think we are a perfect match. My husband is pretty amazing. Awvu, Doug!

1 comment:

  1. Aww!

    I'm jealous. I think it's amazing that you met someone so early in life to spend the rest of it with. I hope I get that lucky :)

    ReplyDelete