Monday, January 11, 2010

Have you heard the story about my celebrity connections?


Last night was a night of television Doug and I have looked forward to with great anticipation. It was the return of Chuck. This has become one of our top shows with some of the best geek references and the perfect balance of comedy and action. Some of you may remember the affable Zachary Levi in his earlier days as Kipp on Less than Perfect. When that show first aired we were still living the Navy life on a base in central California. A close friend of ours named Jake was quick to bring up that he had gone to school with Mr. Levi in Ventura CA and talked often of their high school escapades. It was fun to think we knew someone who knew someone.
Doug has a funny story about a brush with fame in the mess hall of an aircraft carrier. He was working nights at the time and was eating his "breakfast" when most of the sailors were eating dinner. As he ate, the Goo Goo Dolls walked past his table. Johnny Rzeznik paused just long enough to say "what are you eating? Eggs, sausage, pancakes? That's crazy man, you're having breakfast for dinner!"
Until recently, my own celebrity run-ins haven't been nearly as exciting. When I was around ten I met Jerry Lewis. I'm sure I have a few facts jumbled, but my memory claims that my step-brother was a poster child for a muscular dystrophy telethon in Spokane at the time. Mr. Lewis seemed much cooler in '85 and was even kind enough to shake my hand.
I have been watching 30Rock since it first aired and think Tina Fey is the funniest lady on tv since Jane Curtain. As this season began the stories hovered around the new actor on their fake show and I was quickly drawn into the silliness of the other actors trying to ensure the new guy wasn't better than them. When the new character was introduced I thought, funny... he looks familiar, kind of like someone I know but I'm sure it's my imagination. Three episodes later he sang and I knew. His name is Cheyenne Jackson and I went to Jr. High with him in little known Newport WA. Our Jr. High was one hall of the high school and supported roughly 100 students. Needless to say everyone knew everyone else and we all knew Cheyenne was talented. He ate lunch with me and my little click of girl friends on the floor of the hallway, was a genuine friend to me as I struggled through all those wonderful middle school maladies, and even shared a song or two with me during performances. He's earned every bit of his success and I'm very happy for him.
So tonight I will watch another episode of Chuck, think of our good friend Jake in California and smile. I'm sure he'll be watching too and remembering good times with an old friend.

3 comments:

  1. My donor was good friends with Bobby McFerrin (sp?) does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met and have my picture with Chuck! It was back in the day when he was Kip. I'll have to scan it and send it to you one of these days. I met him at Disneyland of all places. I met Andrew Firestone that day too. Yumminess at Disney that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I knew I had cool friends! It is pretty funny where you meet people. We visited Disneyland when I was a kid and went to a few other places nearby... I can still see my mom chasing Robert Goulet through the building at the Le Brea Tar Pits!

    ReplyDelete